Friday, August 16, 2013

My all-in-one Pi


I have a Raspberry Pi, but I wasn't sure how to encase it or whatever.  I picked up a bunch of these 13" LCD monitors from the scrap heap at work.  They run on 12v, and have VGA, S-Video, Component and Composite inputs.  I figured that I wanted to use one as a display for the Pi, so I started with trying to suck 5v of power off of the mainboard inside of it.  After a little probing with a multimeter, I found a 5v and Ground that seemed like a good place to tap.


I sacrificed a micro usb cable to tap directly onto the motherboard.  On the left you can see where I zip-tied it to the frame to prevent strain on the soldered connection.


The cord comes out from an unused port opening.  I added the two screw/standoffs you see on the bottom right.  I should note that I also removed the fan whose grille you can see in the top of the frame.  The fan wasn't needed, and was super noisy.  Next thing to do is to mount the pi on the back of the case.


Huzzah.  Everything fits nicely.  A short composite cable to hook it up and it's ready for use... Only problem was a way to prop it up.  I was going to build some sort of stand for it, but after looking around the parts area of Interlock, I found a broken Dell monitor I had brought in months ago.  I decided to repurpose its stand.


I removed the plastic backing from the upper portion, then removed the mounting plate from the stand.  I added four more holes to line up with the four screws coming out of the monitor (which have a ball joint as seen above) and use those to mount it to the stand.


After assembling it all together, it seems to work nicely.  I've since zip-tied the power brick to the back as well, although I'm not sure I like the way that works out.  The USB and ethernet ports are underneath the stand.  I'm considering moving the pi to be on the back, along the right side rather than on the back along the bottom.

You can also see in the above picture that I have added in a handle on the side of the monitor as well.  It's just the same kind of wire/metal drawer pull as I've used in the past.  It adds a nice carry handle to the project.


All of the ports of the Pi are still easily accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment